|By Ben Nadel||
|July 31, 2007 08:00 PM EDT||
Finally, ColdFusion 8 has incorporated image manipulation directly into the ColdFusion tag and scripting language. No more are we, as developers, chained to third-party products.
These products, while excellent in quality, just mean adding one more level of complexity to any application that requires server-side image manipulation. Now, with CFImage and an abundance of image-related functions, ColdFusion has done to image manipulation what it has done to almost every other aspect of Web applications development - it has made it simple.
Due to the wide array of image functionality in ColdFusion 8, I am going to try and break this tutorial up into several small and manageable parts. The first part will cover basic reading and writing of images using CFImage and the related image manipulation functions. But, before we get into that, let's just quickly touch upon these new features as a whole.
ColdFusion 8 has given us CFImage. CFImage provides us with tag-based access to only a small subset of the image functionality including:
- Retrieving information about an image
- Reading an image into memory
- Resizing an image
- Rotating an image
- Adding a border to an image
- Converting an image from one file format to another
- Creating a CAPTCHA image
- Writing an image to a file
- Writing an image to the browser
In addition to the CFImage tag, ColdFusion has introduced dozens of new image manipulation functions including:
The ColdFusion 8 CFImage tag and the image-related functions all deal with a new ColdFusion object:
Most of you are not going to care about this one all that much, but for those of you who are interested in the underlying Java methods of the coldfusion.image.Image object, I have listed them below (skip past this if you have no idea what I'm talking about). Please note that any underlying methods of the actual Java/ColdFusion objects are found by gathering object metadata and through reflection; none of these methods are documented or officially supported. If you choose to use them, you do so at your own risk and discretion.
- addBorder( int, java.lang.String, java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- blur( int ) - returns: void
- brighten() - returns: void
- clearRect( int, int, int, int ) - returns: void
- copyArea( int, int, int, int ) - returns: coldfusion.image.Image
- copyArea( int, int, int, int, int, int ) - returns: coldfusion.image.Image
- crop( float, float, float, float ) - returns: void
- draw3DRect( int, int, int, int, boolean, boolean ) - returns: void
- drawArc( int, int, int, int, int, int, boolean ) - returns: void
- drawCubicCurve( double, double, double, double, double, double, double, double ) - returns: void
- drawLine( int, int, int, int ) - returns: void
- drawLines( [I, [I, boolean, boolean ) - returns: void
- drawOval( int, int, int, int, boolean ) - returns: void
- drawPoint( int, int ) - returns: void
- drawQuadraticCurve( double, double, double, double, double, double ) - returns: void
- drawRect( int, int, int, int, boolean ) - returns: void
- drawRoundRect( int, int, int, int, int, int, boolean ) - returns: void
- drawString( java.lang.String, int, int, coldfusion.runtime.Struct ) - returns: void
- flip( java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- getBase64String( java.lang.String ) - returns: java.lang.String
- getClass() - returns: java.lang.Class
- getColor( java.lang.String ) - returns: java.awt.Color
- getCurrentGraphics() - returns: java.awt.Graphics2D
- getCurrentImage() - returns: java.awt.image.BufferedImage
- getExifMetadata( javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext )- returns: coldfusion.runtime.Struct
- getExifTag( java.lang.String, javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext ) - returns: java.lang.String
- getHeight() - returns: int
- getImageBytes( java.lang.String ) - returns: [B
- getIptcMetadata( javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext ) - returns: coldfusion.runtime.Struct
- getIptcTag( java.lang.String, javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext ) - returns: java.lang.String
- getSource() - returns: java.lang.String
- getWidth() - returns: int
- grayscale() - returns: void
- info() - returns: coldfusion.runtime.Struct
- initializeMetadata( javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext ) - returns: void
- invert() - returns: void
- overlay( coldfusion.image.Image ) - returns: void
- paste( coldfusion.image.Image, int, int ) - returns: void
- readBase64( java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- resize( java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- resize( java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String, double ) - returns: void
- rotate( float, float, float, java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- rotateAxis( double ) - returns: void
- rotateAxis( double, double, double ) - returns: void
- scaleToFit( int ) - returns: void
- scaleToFit( java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- scaleToFit( java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String, double ) - returns: void
- setAntiAliasing( java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- setBackground( java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- setColor( java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- setDrawingStroke( coldfusion.runtime.Struct ) - returns: void
- setDrawingStroke( float, int, int, float, [F, float ) - returns: void
- setRenderingHint( java.awt.RenderingHints$Key, java.lang.Object ) - returns: void
- setTranparency( double ) - returns: void
- setXorMode( java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- sharpen( float ) - returns: void
- sharpenEdge() - returns: void
- shear( float, java.lang.String, java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- shearAxis( double, double ) - returns: void
- translate( int, int, java.lang.String ) - returns: void
- translateAxis( int, int ) - returns: void
- write( java.lang.String, float ) - returns: void
- writeBase64( java.lang.String, java.lang.String, boolean ) - returns: void
|Michael 07/12/08 01:43:25 AM EDT|
The noisy ad is beyond annoying.
|Mike Ritchie 08/01/07 06:08:54 PM EDT|
I wonder if the CF team consulted with the developer of ImageCFC? It also was basically a wrapper for the underlying Java image functionality. Either way, this looks like an exceptionally useful tool. Do you need to instantiate the object using cfimage? Or is it possible to manipulate an image completely within cfscript?
|Sanjeev 07/15/07 10:07:34 PM EDT|
rename the CodFusion as ColdFusion !
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint, a leading digital experience intelligence company, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint Systems is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into your customer-critical services to help you consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed for digital business, C...
Jan. 21, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 1,844
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smart...
Jan. 21, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,803
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 21, 2017 11:15 AM EST Reads: 6,117
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions with...
Jan. 21, 2017 10:00 AM EST Reads: 5,663
Every successful software product evolves from an idea to an enterprise system. Notably, the same way is passed by the product owner's company. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Oleg Lola, CEO of MobiDev, will provide a generalized overview of the evolution of a software product, the product owner, the needs that arise at various stages of this process, and the value brought by a software development partner to the product owner as a response to these needs.
Jan. 21, 2017 07:30 AM EST Reads: 1,306
In 2014, Amazon announced a new form of compute called Lambda. We didn't know it at the time, but this represented a fundamental shift in what we expect from cloud computing. Now, all of the major cloud computing vendors want to take part in this disruptive technology. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, John Jelinek IV, a web developer at Linux Academy, will discuss why major players like AWS, Microsoft Azure, IBM Bluemix, and Google Cloud Platform are all trying to sidestep VMs and containers...
Jan. 21, 2017 07:15 AM EST Reads: 939
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Jan. 21, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 1,954
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, discussed the best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Jan. 21, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 2,097
Technology vendors and analysts are eager to paint a rosy picture of how wonderful IoT is and why your deployment will be great with the use of their products and services. While it is easy to showcase successful IoT solutions, identifying IoT systems that missed the mark or failed can often provide more in the way of key lessons learned. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Peter Vanderminden, Principal Industry Analyst for IoT & Digital Supply Chain to Flatiron Strategies, will focus on how IoT depl...
Jan. 21, 2017 03:45 AM EST Reads: 1,992
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it m...
Jan. 21, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 5,829
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet and...
Jan. 21, 2017 01:30 AM EST Reads: 6,573
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 21, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 4,923
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jan. 21, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 5,065
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Jan. 21, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 2,894
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Jan. 21, 2017 12:15 AM EST Reads: 6,383
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Jan. 21, 2017 12:00 AM EST Reads: 4,723
IoT is at the core or many Digital Transformation initiatives with the goal of re-inventing a company's business model. We all agree that collecting relevant IoT data will result in massive amounts of data needing to be stored. However, with the rapid development of IoT devices and ongoing business model transformation, we are not able to predict the volume and growth of IoT data. And with the lack of IoT history, traditional methods of IT and infrastructure planning based on the past do not app...
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 PM EST Reads: 941
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus o...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 4,406
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Jan. 20, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 2,113
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 20, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 3,837