|By Joe Cronin||
|January 18, 2005 12:00 AM EST||
Do your end users complain about the quality of your ColdFusion application's search functionality?
Have you exceeded the 250,000-document limit of the search functionality that comes embedded in ColdFusion MX? Have the requirements of your application changed to include searching for content both inside and outside of the ColdFusion environment?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, it sounds like your ColdFusion MX application could use some help. In surveys by industry analysts, such as Gartner, IDC, and Forrester, end users, executives, and developers alike consistently rank the ability to search as one of the most important features of all online applications. Yet search continues to be one of the most maligned utilities of Web sites, business applications, and you name it. The bottom line is that if your end users can't find what they're looking for with your application's search tools, you're not realizing the full value of your ColdFusion investment.
Early on, Allaire, and then Macromedia, understood the need to provide ColdFusion developers with the ability to integrate advanced search features into their applications. Since 1997, the search functionality embedded in ColdFusion has been provided by Verity, Inc. Verity was selected for a number of reasons: ease of integration into ColdFusion, advanced functionality, and Verity's recognized position as the market leader in the enterprise search space.
But even the best search tool is only as good as its implementation. This article includes tips on optimizing the Verity search included in ColdFusion MX 6.1. With this search, you can build applications with advanced, enterprise-class full-text search of up to 250,000 documents and/or database records within the ColdFusion environment (if you need a larger search, go directly to the end of this article for more information). In addition, this article describes how to quickly and easily add value to applications by enhancing the search within ColdFusion, and by extending search to content outside ColdFusion.
Search Within ColdFusion MX
To ensure that users of ColdFusion applications can find the specific information they need in databases and hundreds of file formats, Macromedia integrated Verity full-text search. This includes:
- Full-text search of all ColdFusion content
- The ability to search a wide range of document types, including HTML, binary documents, and database records
- The ability to limit search to specific groups, or collections of documents, in order to enable subject-specific searches
- Support for multiple languages, including most European and Asian languages
- Fielded search against index metadata
One of the strengths of Verity search solutions is that they can be configured to meet specific business and technical objectives. To optimize search with the ColdFusion environment, Macromedia implemented Verity to support content of the following basic data types:
- Text files such as HTML pages and CFML pages
- Binary documents
- Record sets returned from cfquery, cfldap, and cfpop queries
Typical Applications of Verity Search
By taking advantage of Verity's flexibility you can add significant value to your ColdFusion applications. Typical uses of Verity search within ColdFusion include:
- Indexing the content of a Web site and providing a generalized search mechanism, such as the familiar search box
- Indexing specific directories that contain documents on a specific topic in order to provide subject-based searching, or to limit the focus of searches to specific groups of documents
- Indexing cfquery record sets into a single Verity Collection and letting users search against the collection with a single query rather than requiring them to perform multiple database queries to return the same data
- Indexing cfldap and cfpop query results
- Indexing e-mail generated by ColdFusion application pages and making the resulting Verity Collection available for searching from your ColdFusion application pages
- Building Verity Collections with inventory data and making those collections available for searching from your ColdFusion application pages
- Supporting international users in a range of languages, using the cfindex, cfcollection, and cfsearch tags
One of the most obvious advantages of Verity search embedded in ColdFusion is its performance. For example, using Verity to index the output from database queries and then to perform searches against the indexed record sets is much faster than using SQL to search databases directly. Additional advantages of Verity over other search methods include:
- Superior relevancy of search results lists
- The display of document titles and summaries in search results lists
- Elimination of the need to programmatically create query constructs by allowing novice and expert users alike to use the same type of full-text queries they're used to using on the Web
- Indexing of database text fields, such as notes and product descriptions, that cannot be effectively indexed by native database tools
- The indexing and display of document URLs in results lists, a valuable document management feature
The good news is that Verity's advanced search features are straightforward to deploy within ColdFusion MX. In general, adding optimized osearch to your application involves three basic tasks:
- Creating a Verity Collection
- Indexing the content within your ColdFusion application
- Designing a search interface
There are pros and cons to using either the ColdFusion MX Administrator or CFML for deploying Verity search within ColdFusion applications. Refer to Table 2 to determine which is appropriate for your application and information environment.
Just as there is more than one method for deploying Verity search, you can configure your search implementation to meet specific business objectives. Primarily, you do this by running cfsearch or cfquery. Table 3 lists the advantages and uses of each.
Optimizing Search Relevancy
Once you've deployed the Verity search, you can also optimize its relevancy for your specific information environment. The ColdFusion implementation of Verity Query Language (VQL) uses operators and modifiers. These can either be used directly by advanced users, or implemented transparently so that they are applied automatically to all queries. The following are some of the more commonly used VQL operators:
For additional resources, see the ColdFusion MX documentation available at www.macromedia.com. All product questions and support for ColdFusion, including the Verity search integrated into ColdFusion MX, are provided by Macromedia.
Extending and Enhancing the Search in Macromedia ColdFusion MX
As advanced as the Verity search is within ColdFusion, you may eventually want to deploy ColdFusion applications with enhanced search capabilities that are not possible using Macromedia's implementation of Verity. This is not due to any inherent limitations on Verity's part as much as it is a result of the robust, advanced capabilities of ColdFusion that enable you to develop ever more powerful applications. Verity has found that the need for additional search features is largely driven by three key requirements, along with a less common fourth requirement:
1. Searching content outside of ColdFusion. The Verity search functionality within ColdFusion is limited to searching content and database records within your ColdFusion application. Many ColdFusion developers need to extend the search functionality to areas outside of ColdFusion, such as intranets, external Web sites, file servers, external databases, Microsoft Exchange, and third-party document management systems.
2. Additional Administrative Tools. To meet their specific application requirements, some developers require additional administrative tools.
3. Adding more advanced end-user interface options. Another common request among ColdFusion developers is the ability to add advanced search features not included with the ColdFusion implementation of Verity, such as spell checker/recommendations, and search-term highlighting.
4. Searching over 250,000 documents and/or records. Occasionally, developers will build applications that exceed the 250,000 documents and/or records that the ColdFusion implementation of Verity is limited to searching. For applications that must search large databases or repositories, developers need to extend this limit. This topic is not covered in this article. For information on overcoming the document number limitations of ColdFusion, contact [email protected].
Extending and Enhancing Search with Verity Ultraseek
The three most common ColdFusion search enhancements listed above can be accomplished with the addition of Verity Ultraseek. This downloadable search engine is easily integrated into applications, using its available Java API. It can also be readily deployed into mixed application environments, using its Web services interface, which supports both the .NET and J2EE platforms. A number of factors make Ultraseek the best choice for extending search outside of the ColdFusion environment and providing additional administration tools:
- Ultraseek's easy-to-implement, set-and-forget design requires extremely low ongoing maintenance and overhead
- Ultraseek's end-user interfaces (i.e., search boxes and results lists) are similar to those of the Verity search embedded in ColdFusion
- Ultraseek provides enterprise-class search at a price point in line with ColdFusion
ColdFusion Search-Specific Tags
Creating a Collection with the cfcollection tag
When using the cfcollection tag, you can specify the same attributes as in the ColdFusion MX Administrator:
- Action: (Optional) The action to perform on the collection (create, delete, repair, or optimize). The default value for the action attribute is list. For more information, see cfcollection in CFML Reference.
- Collection: The name of the new collection, or the name of a collection on which you will perform an action.
- Path: The location for the Verity collection.
- Language: (Optional) The language used to create the collection (English, by default).
<cfcollection action = "create" collection = "a_new_collection" path = "c:\CFusionMX\verity\collections\">
Indexing a Collection Using the cfindex tag
You can index a collection in CFML using the cfindex tag, which eliminates the need to use the ColdFusion MX Administrator.
- Collection: The name of the collection. If you are indexing an external collection (external = "Yes"), you must also specify the fully qualified path for the collection.
- Action: (Optional) Can be update (the default action), delete, purge, or refresh.
- Extensions: (Optional) The delimited list of file extensions that ColdFusion uses to index files if type="Path".
- Key: (Optional) The path containing the files you are indexing if type="path".
- URLpath: (Optional) The URL path for files if type="file" and type="path". When the collection is searched with cfsearch, the pathname is automatically prefixed to filenames and returned as the URL attribute.
- Recurse: (Optional) Yes or No. Yes specifies, if type = "Path", that directories below the path specified in the key attribute are included in the indexing operation.
- Language: (Optional) The language of the collection. English is the default.
You use the cfsearch tag to search an indexed collection. Searching a Verity Collection is similar to a standard ColdFusion query: both use a dedicated ColdFusion tag that requires a name attribute for their searches.
The following are important attributes for the cfsearch tag:
- Name: The name of the search query.
- Collection: The name of the collection(s) being searched. Use a fully qualified path for an external collection. Separate multiple collections with a comma; for example, collection = "sprocket_docs,CodeColl".
- Criteria: The search target (can be dynamic).
- RecordCount: The total number of records returned by the search.
- CurrentRow: The current row of the record set being processed by cfoutput.
- RecordsSearched: The total number of records in the index that were searched. If no records were returned in the search, this property returns a null value.
|Dave Hardwick 01/27/05 10:25:47 AM EST|
Ironic, the URL for the Ultraseek extension for CF provided a "404: File Not Found." When I searched for cfsearch or CFMX on Verity's Web site, it returned no results!
I was surprised this article did not mention KF2 Server. Crawling the site is a very powerful option that allows for regular expression type controls over what is and is not indexed, be it directories or filenames.
|Peter 01/20/05 03:53:53 AM EST|
Great article, glad to see Verity with CF getting some exposure. I agree that it is entirely about servicing the end user but have a problem that I can't seem to get around.
I have a handful of long (250+ page) pdfs which I can add to a verity collection and then search. What my end users really want, however, is not just to identify matching documents, but to identify the passages within those documents that match their search criteria.
Is anything along these lines possible with the Verity engine included with CF?
SYS-CON Events announced today that Site24x7, the cloud infrastructure monitoring service, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Site24x7 is a cloud infrastructure monitoring service that helps monitor the uptime and performance of websites, online applications, servers, mobile websites and custom APIs. The monitoring is done from 50+ locations across the world and from various wireless carriers, thus providing a global perspective of the end-user experience. Site24x7 supports monitoring H...
Apr. 27, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,091
Sonus Networks introduced the Sonus WebRTC Services Solution, a virtualized Web Real-Time Communications (WebRTC) offer, purpose-built for the Cloud. The WebRTC Services Solution provides signaling from WebRTC-to-WebRTC applications and interworking from WebRTC-to-Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), delivering advanced real-time communications capabilities on mobile applications and on websites, which are accessible via a browser.
Apr. 27, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,004
SYS-CON Events announced today that Intelligent Systems Services will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1994, Intelligent Systems Services Inc. is located near Washington, DC, with representatives and partners nationwide. ISS’s well-established track record is based on the continuous pursuit of excellence in designing, implementing and supporting nationwide clients’ mission-critical systems. ISS has completed many successful projects in Healthcare, Commercial, Manufacturing, ...
Apr. 27, 2015 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,819
SYS-CON Events announced today that B2Cloud, a provider of enterprise resource planning software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. B2cloud develops the software you need. They have the ideal tools to help you work with your clients. B2Cloud’s main solutions include AGIS – ERP, CLOHC, AGIS – Invoice, and IZUM
Apr. 27, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,587
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tufin, the market-leading provider of Security Policy Orchestration Solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As the market leader of Security Policy Orchestration, Tufin automates and accelerates network configuration changes while maintaining security and compliance. Tufin's award-winning Orchestration Suite™ gives IT organizations the power and agility to enforce security policy across complex, multi-vendor enterprise networks. With more than 1...
Apr. 27, 2015 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,625
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudian, Inc., is a Foster City, California - based software company specializing in cloud storage software. The main product is Cloudian, an Amazon S3-compliant cloud object storage platform, the bedrock of cloud computing systems, that enables cloud service providers and enterprises to build reliable, affordable and scalable cloud storage solu...
Apr. 27, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,756
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things compatible devices.
Apr. 27, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,334
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the industry’s first all flash version of HyperConverged Appliances that include both compute and storag...
Apr. 27, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,665
“With easy-to-use SDKs for Atmel’s platforms, IoT developers can now reap the benefits of realtime communication, and bypass the security pitfalls and configuration complexities that put IoT deployments at risk,” said Todd Greene, founder & CEO of PubNub. PubNub will team with Atmel at CES 2015 to launch full SDK support for Atmel’s MCU, MPU, and Wireless SoC platforms. Atmel developers now have access to PubNub’s secure Publish/Subscribe messaging with guaranteed ¼ second latencies across PubNub’s 14 global points-of-presence. PubNub delivers secure communication through firewalls, proxy ser...
Apr. 27, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,883
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Apr. 27, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,277
SYS-CON Events announced today that On the Avenue Marketing Group, a sales and marketing firm that utilizes events to market and sell products to consumers, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. On the Avenue Marketing Group (OTA) is a sales and marketing firm that utilizes events to market and sell products to consumers. On behalf of our clients, we attend thousands of fairs, festivals, expos, concerts, conferences, and sporting events annually, helping them reach millions of individuals ...
Apr. 26, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,507
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
Apr. 26, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,892
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 26, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,492
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will meet your customers' needs of tomorrow - today! Ciqada. Let your products take flight. For more inform...
Apr. 26, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,934
Health care systems across the globe are under enormous strain, as facilities reach capacity and costs continue to rise. M2M and the Internet of Things have the potential to transform the industry through connected health solutions that can make care more efficient while reducing costs. In fact, Vodafone's annual M2M Barometer Report forecasts M2M applications rising to 57 percent in health care and life sciences by 2016. Lively is one of Vodafone's health care partners, whose solutions enable older adults to live independent lives while staying connected to loved ones. M2M will continue to gr...
Apr. 26, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,535
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Apr. 26, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,515
SYS-CON Events announced today that GENBAND, a leading developer of real time communications software solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The GENBAND team will be on hand to demonstrate their newest product, Kandy. Kandy is a communications Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables companies to seamlessly integrate more human communications into their Web and mobile applications - creating more engaging experiences for their customers and boosting collaboration and productiv...
Apr. 26, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,752
Dave will share his insights on how Internet of Things for Enterprises are transforming and making more productive and efficient operations and maintenance (O&M) procedures in the cleantech industry and beyond. Speaker Bio: Dave Landa is chief operating officer of Cybozu Corp (kintone US). Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Dave has been on the forefront of the Cloud revolution driving strategic business development on the executive teams of multiple leading Software as a Services (SaaS) application providers dating back to 2004. Cybozu's kintone.com is a leading global BYOA (Build Your O...
Apr. 26, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,579
The best mobile applications are augmented by dedicated servers, the Internet and Cloud services. Mobile developers should focus on one thing: writing the next socially disruptive viral app. Thanks to the cloud, they can focus on the overall solution, not the underlying plumbing. From iOS to Android and Windows, developers can leverage cloud services to create a common cross-platform backend to persist user settings, app data, broadcast notifications, run jobs, etc. This session provides a high level technical overview of many cloud services available to mobile app developers, includi...
Apr. 26, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,429
SYS-CON Events announced today that BroadSoft, the leading global provider of Unified Communications and Collaboration (UCC) services to operators worldwide, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BroadSoft is the leading provider of software and services that enable mobile, fixed-line and cable service providers to offer Unified Communications over their Internet Protocol networks. The Company’s core communications platform enables the delivery of a range of enterprise and consumer calling...
Apr. 26, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,562